Suspicious gnaw marks on boxes and cables, debris in the nooks and crannies of your home…would you know the signs that you had a rat problem?
Rats can cause damage to your property as they can chew through everything from insulation to wires, pipes, and floorboards. And not only that, there are some pretty nasty pathogens in rat urine and droppings which can cause serious diseases.
So if you suspect you have a rat problem, you need to deal with it early on to avoid a full-blown infestation.
So what are the 5 signs that I have rats in my home?
Rats are usually more active at night, so you’ll probably see the signs that rats are present in your home way before you see an actual rat. You may notice:
- Rat droppings-these are usually dark brown and resemble a grain of rice.
- Gnaw marks-cables, pipes, flooring, doors, furniture-you name it, rats love to chew.
- A strong smell of ammonia-rat urine smells unmistakably strong, stale, and unpleasant.
- Nests– Rats will usually use insulation, cardboard, and anything else they can find to make their nests in areas like the dark corners of your loft.
- Footprints-check dusty areas for foot and tail marks. This can give you a clue about where they are entering and leaving from too.
Where should I look for signs of rats?
If you suspect you have a rat problem, there are some areas of your home where you’re more likely to notice signs of rats:
- Your loft- check dark and dusty corners and old boxes for signs of rat droppings and gnaw marks.
- In the kitchen, behind appliances-be sure to check for any gaps around pipes.
- Inside cavity walls-rats can crawl into the smallest of spaces, especially the babies.
Don’t forget to check outside areas too, as if rats are nesting outside of your property, it can be only a matter of time before they get in. Make sure you check:
- Sheds-look for gnaw marks and holes around the edges of your shed.
- Drains-are there holes around drain covers?-it may be a sign of a rat!
- Garages-are there gaps or gnaw marks around doors, particularly if they’re wooden?
- Decking-check the edges for gnaw marks or gaps.
I’ve noticed the signs that I have rats in my home, what should I do?
The most important thing you can do is act fast and call in professional pest control to nip your rat problem in the bud. Rats breed fast and if you’ve seen one, there will likely be many more infesting your home before you know it.
How can we help?
Our highly-trained pest control technicians can deal with your rat problem fast and effectively, and also advise you on how you can proof your home against further infestations.
Have you seen signs of rats in your home?
Don’t delay-protect your family, your home, and your health-call us today.